ALLEGHENY COUNTY AIRPORT AUTHORITY TO LOAN ART TO THE PALAZZO DELLE ESPOSIZIONI MUSEUM IN ROME
PITTSBURGH, PA (April 11, 2008) – Pittsburgh International Airport has agreed to loan the Alexander Calder mobile called Pittsburgh to the Palazzo delle Esposizioni museum in Rome for an exhibit they are hosting in the winter of 2009.
The Palazzo delle Esposizioni museum will feature a large retrospective of the work of Alexander Calder. The curator for this exhibition is Alexander S.C. Rower, director of the Calder Foundation. The spacious interiors of the Palazzo delle Esposizioni, which have been newly renovated, will provide an exceptional backdrop for celebrating the work of Calder, the 20th century’s most buoyant and ethereal of sculptors.
Calder’s work, called Pittsburgh, is displayed on the airside terminal of the Pittsburgh International Airport. The work is an aluminum and iron mobile with graceful black rods propelled by white paddles and is suspended above the central atrium near the information desk. It is a familiar site to the millions who pass through Pittsburgh International Airport. Pittsburgh is known for its natural and graceful free rotation on air currents.
“It is impressive recognition for Pittsburgh International Airport that the Palazzo delle Esposizioni museum is interested in borrowing this piece of art from us,” said Bradley D. Penrod, Executive Director, Allegheny County Airport Authority. “We are fortunate to have such a valuable Calder.”
The Calder exhibit is expected be on display at the Palazzo delle Esposizioni museum from February 3 to May 3, 2009. Conceived as a panorama of Calder’s entire artistic career, this project is unprecedented in both form and size.
Alexander Calder’s award-winning Pittsburgh was designed for a Carnegie Institute exhibition in 1958. It was purchased by G. David Thompson who donated it to Allegheny County. In 1959, Allegheny County moved the artwork to the Greater Pittsburgh International Airport. It was returned to the Carnegie Museum of Art in 1979. When the new terminal was completed, Pittsburgh returned to PIT prior to the opening of the terminal.